Just over month ago I started posting the Learn Page manager! screencast series, and today – 13 episodes and 3714 plays later – the last episode was published. The feedback has been great, and I'm really happy to be able to spread the word about such an important framework for Drupal.
In case you haven't already seen the series, here's a quick summary:
- Page manager allows you to collect and manage contextual information in a flexible and consistent way. It is an important part of building infrastructure on Drupal websites, and you should know how to use this module.
- The screencast series is targeted at experienced Drupal developers.
- Episodes 1, 2 and 3 introduces the most basic concepts, such as custom pages, variants, selection rules and (to some extent) contextual objects.
- Episodes 4, 5, 6 and 7 talks about Panels, with emphasis on Views integration but also some words on efficient caching.
- Episodes 8 and 9 talks about access control, menu items, and not least the little-known but very usefulContextual Administration module.
- Episodes 10 and 11 talks more about using contextual objects in Page manager, including using Views as context. This is, imho, where the real power in Page manager is.
- Episodes 12 and 13 collects various bits and pieces, such as how to use Panels to easily rearrange the node edit form, import/export settings, and some extra modules that can be used with Page manager.
Some comments about the series
The interest and appreciation for this series has been awesome. Thanks to all of you sending encouraging tweets and comments.
i think @Itangalo is going for the worldrecord in "most free drupal screencast in shortest time, that kicks ass" Great screencast. I stared at the redirect destination field forever and didn’t realize I could use the variables in that field until this demo. I want to thankyou for this wonderful series, I have learn a lot with your screen cast and now can see the real power behind Drupal and modules like Panels. This is series is already awesome— i was unaware that there were other modules, besides panels, that make use of page manager. Great work Johan, keep it up! I’ve learnt a lot of Drupal with nodeONE’s screencasts. Just wanted to say thanks for such an entertaining and helpful series here, I really learnt a lot! 1000* thanks @itangalo of @nodeone_dk for your excellent screencast demonstrating the power of #drupal #pagemanager.
If you like learning things like Page manager, you should check out the pre-conference training at DrupalCon London that we're arranging together with Cocoate and Krimson – "Advanced Configuration with Views, Page Manager, Flag and Rules". It will be a day crammed full with Drupal experience points. The number of tickets are limited, and the first ones are already sold.
I'm all out of screencasts to publish! OMG! (In case you missed it, I sneaked in a pretty short screencast series about Flag while publishing this one.)
I want to record more screencast series, but I'm not sure where to go next. I'm planning on writing a new post to collect ideas and comments – stay tuned if you want to have a say in the process.
- Introduction and more
- Variants and selection rules
- Introduction to Panels
- Views content panes (Basic)
- More view panes
- Panel pane settings (including cache)
- Menu items and access control
- Contextual administration
- More contextual objects
- The views context
- Rearrenge node edit form
- Import/export and additional modules